Judith Hill


I will keep this brief, but watching Michael Jackson's memorial yesterday had me wondering who the excellent, Asian-looking singer was who was front-and-center for a large portion of the broadcast. The first thing I thought was, "When has there ever been as Asian singing lead on US network television?" I still can't come up with an example.

Anyway, it turns out that I wasn't the only one wondering because Yahoo's front page has linked to a Rolling Stone article titled "Mystery Artist Reveled". They didn't get into the point I made about never seeing Asian singers on US TV, but they did give a little info about her and her background. Apparently her mother is Japanese, and her father is American, I'm guessing Black. Check her out in action:



edit post

3 Reply to "The Asian Singer At The Michael Jackson Memorial"

Candice on July 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for this post. Also, Asians/Asian Americans are generally not part of mainstream American media. (esp. not Filipino women and I can't figure that out - even tho I'm biased, it makes me wonder cause there are a lot of pretty Filipinas, and a lot of singing talent in general). Any way, I studied this stuff at school it's an interesting dynamic in media

 

Ren on July 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

You're totally right.

 

Heather on July 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Maybe Charice will help to change that. She if Filipina.
She was recently on Oprah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDb1QAO2pQ

 

Post a Comment