The Monterey Historic Automobile Races was a California event that I actually had no idea existed. In a year filled with Central Coast experiences (driving Highway 1 to LA, and working in Carmel for a month), I found myself back in the area in August.

I actually began the weekend working for the telecast of the 49'ers verses Broncos game from Candlestick Park. I assisted the cameraman on the moving scissor lift and his driver. The driver was a cool guy and told me about how he invested in property in Shelter Cove a long time ago and it has yet to pay off. The best thing about that game was how at the end, when the Broncos came within one point of the 49ers with only seconds to go, the Broncos decided to go for two points. I'm sure that we all can agree that nobody wants to see a preseason game go into overtime, so they did us all a favor! I didn't get to leave until 12:30 AM and drove straight to Monterey from there.

Terry respecting a classic in the pits

Photobucket

My Uncle, Terry, invited me to join him at this event. He came all the way from Elko, Nevada. He graciously kept me full of car knowledge and beer during the entire weekend.

And they're off!

Photobucket

This is a picture from an actual race. Cars from the same era would race each other, and as you can see, this was one of the "oldest" classes of cars. One of the coolest things about the old cars was how they sounded, and how the sounds changed with different generations of cars. Some of the old cars sounded exactly like airplanes!

A view from one of the towers

Photobucket

Some shots from the pits

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Porche Panamera, the official car of the race

Photobucket

This big sports sedan had yet to be released in the USA, but Terry and I got a chance to get in and see how it feels. It is a very luxurious inside, and I'm sure it's awesome to drive. Those of you who don't know much about cars (like me) may not realize that this is Porsche's first 4-door car in a very long time!

Porsche cars are usually this size:

Photobucket

Somebody brought their crazy custom truck just for show

Photobucket

At night we went and saw the cars at the downtown auction

Photobucket

Photobucket

Checking out these cars, and the people who bid on them is worth going to Monterey to see in itself. Admission is free, and there is a lot to keep you busy!

McLaren F1

Photobucket

In high school my friends and I would look up McLaren F1s on eBay because we heard that they were the fastest, street legal car.

Everybody go home!

Photobucket



edit post

2 Reply to "Monterey Historic Automobile Races"

Anonymous on November 9, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Some of those cars are very crazy looking!

A.J.

 

Ren on November 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

ya, it was so much fun!

 

Post a Comment