Photobucket






When my mom and sister were here we took off to Hiroshima and Kyoto with the rest of my California State University group. We went by bullet train straight to Hiroshima first.
Hiroshima is one of the two places in the world that nuclear bombs have been dropped on. The city is a nice place to visit and has many things to do for those interested in reliving World War Two.
The bomb dropped on Hiroshima targeted the entertainment district of the city. Obviously, the destruction was felt beyond just Hiroshima, but anyway, where the entertainment district once stood is now a large park dedicated to peace. The famous dome-shaped structure that is still standing is one of the most popular places for tourists. We also entered the World War Two museum which was quite fascinating.

Bullet Train




The Peace Park in Hiroshima









Locals having a drinking picnic at the park



Before and after





Time became meaningless, and watches literally stopped



The red ball is where the bomb was detonated from




We hopped back on a bullet train and took the short ride to Kyoto, where we would stay for 4 nights. I already had a room booked through my university so my mom and sister ended up at a different place which happened to be a traditional style Japanese inn (or ryokan).










I let them relax for the night and I headed off to my group dinner with my classmates. It always seems like someone ends up needing to be taken care of after an all you can drink dinner.



To sum up Kyoto, it is the former capitol of Japan and contains many traditional buildings that are very old. We took so many photos there that it was hard for me to organize them so just feel free to experience Kyoto through them.







































On our last day in Kyoto we had a luggage delivery service take our bags to the train station for us which we thought we had a voucher for. However, when we got to the office to pick up our luggage at the station the staff there was angry that we thought there should be no fee. I had to argue with them, my first argument in Japanese, and it didn't help that these were downright bitter people especially for Japan. They went from angrily saying there is no way that we are leaving without paying, to saying "just leave" and saving us sixty dollars that we were happy to spend elsewhere.

A view of Mt. Fuji from the bullet train going home



When we got back to Tokyo we met up with Miho and went out to the Indian restaurant around a one minute walk from my apartment. I still think this place has the best nan bread in the city. It was a great meal.

At the restaurant and in my neighborhood





The next day, their final full day in Tokyo, we went to Odiba. Odaiba is an artificial island where there are nice views of the city and also some very cool buildings. One of the coolest things there is the free Toyota showroom.
We made a quick stop in Ginza, where some of the most expensive shops in Japan are.



























For dinner, I suggested we go to a place called "The Lockup" in Shibuya. My mom and sister still hadn't seen any of Tokyo's nightlife so I decided on this place. I had never been there, I just knew that it was supposed to be wild. It turned out that it was. When you enter there is a very dark hallway which is like being in a haunted house. I guided Miho because she was already terrified, and my mom and sister were behind us. Then, when we got to the reception desk, the staff dressed in costumes handcuffed my sister and took us to our "cell" in this jail-themed atmosphere. The menu was also quite bizarre with scary names and syringes to inject different ingredients into your drinks.

It was a lot different without the camera flash



Handcuffed





Our cell



All of a sudden the lights went dim and there was a loudspeaker saying that the monsters had escaped and to be careful. It was hard to see anything but we could hear the ell doors slamming open and shut as monsters were terrifying the other customers. We had no idea what was coming our way, then suddenly we were attacked! They we managed to fend them off without even dropping our chopsticks. The staff returned with cap-guns to shoot any remaining monsters.

Maji Naki (seriously crying)



On the way back to my apartment we stopped by a fun, open-mike jazz cafe.



Sayonara Tokyo





Me in my giant kitchen



This morning I felt three earthquakes within thirty minutes.



edit post

0 Reply to "Hiroshima, Kyoto, and the end."

Post a Comment