A little bit of history is being made now in Mendocino County as the Confusion Hill bluffs bypass is now open, making this Northwest California stretch of 101 a little less like an obstacle course. Probably since the day these bluffs were originally made into a road they have been sliding away, blocking this area of California from the Bay Area, and other points south. I can remember many times slides on these bluffs have obstructed my travels in and out of Humboldt County. I'm sure that many snowboarding trips are canceled in the winter due to the closures as well. I am also sure that many people have memories of simply parking on those bluffs because of how often it was under construction and subject to one-way traffic.

Anyway, yesterday I was on the way to Humboldt after celebrating the 4th of July in Santa Cruz and decided to get some pictures to preserve the memories of this cool stretch of road. I am sure you all have your own stories and memories, and I hope these pictures help you reminisce.
















edit post

8 Reply to "The Last Day of Regular Usage of the Confusion Hill Bluffs Stretch of Highway 101"

Anonymous on July 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

A very dangerous stretch of road can now be laid to rest! A.J.

 

DJ on July 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM

another one of those "remember when"s. I think you are officially getting old Ren.

 

Renee (mom) on July 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM

glad you captured a bike rider in the memories. Mom

 

Ren on July 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM

DJ> You'd know a lot about that! Bring on age because I am happy!

 

Kym on July 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM

We all used to get so impatient with the work being done there. I hated waiting and waiting but one guy went into a rage. I remember once when Kevin was working there, traffic was stopped because there was equipment moving soil. A big van came through decided it could squeeze through and gunned it past the flagman who had to jump out of the way. The van scraped off mirrors and paint but did manage to get through before an officer stopped him.

 

Ren on July 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Kym> Dang, what a loser! That is a scary story!

 

Unknown on July 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Okay, I'll play the roll of an old nervous aunt and ask the question.......is using a camera while driving on a crooked road equivalent to talking on a cell phone? *smile*

The photos are really quite good and tell the story well.

 

Ren on July 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Myrna> I made the sacrifice for my fans. That's how dedicated I am! ;)

 

Post a Comment