Zen in Humboldt County (6)

7:08 PM by , under ,

A recent picture from Shelter Cove


It is difficult to put into words the sheer relaxation, enjoyment, and satisfaction I am experiencing during my extended stay here in Humboldt County. I was sent here to take care of my dad's house located by the Eel River on a beautiful piece of hillside land. It doesn't take much effort. The most important things are to keep the vegetables and flowers from dying, and keep the old dog and cat happy. Every day I seem to wake up with a clear mind without any concerns, and it lasts through the day. I often take a moment to reflect on how great of a feeling this is.

I sort of think that this relates to the fact that this is the first time in my life that I have not had a plan of any sort. There is no reason for me to be any specific place at any specific time. I have always had school or obligations of some sort that I was forced to mold my life around, but now that I have graduated, that is no longer a factor.

I also think my tranquility here relates to my frustration with Japanese society during my recent stay there. There are so many customs, formalities, and social expectations of people there that seem to make things more difficult than they need to be. I really started to long for "laid-back" Californian ways. Obviously, Humboldt takes this concept to the extreme, and I am not complaining!

I will be back blogging soon with some details and pictures from some of the fun activities I have been up to here. Thanks for reading.



edit post

6 Reply to "Zen in Humboldt County"

Anonymous on July 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Even though I am busy still Humboldt gives me that zen state of mind especially when I'm outside wandering the hills.---though this 105 degree heat

 

Anonymous on July 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Yikes, somehow I got cut off...

this 105 degree heat has me thinking of moving somewhere cool!

 

Anonymous on July 27, 2009 at 1:46 AM

that last paragraph is more true than anything i've read in months

 

ernie on July 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Ren, will you be video recording the Reggae event?

 

Ren on July 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Kym> I have been able to tolerate this string of hot weather so far, but today might be the hottest yet! I pray that Reggae Rising will be blessed with cool weather!

Evianonly> I knew you'd relate to that.

Ernie> I just barely got word that my crew has been hired for Reggae Rising. I will be there starting on Thursday.

 

HeatherK on July 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Ren, I know. And I miss it.

 

Post a Comment