Zen in Humboldt Continued (4)

10:09 AM by , under ,

Nature at its best


This summertime stay in Humboldt has really made me feel like I am still a "local" with all of the great events and excursions I have been able to take part in. Last month I didn't plan on arriving back from Japan until the 30th, but I changed my flight ($200 fee) to allow me to leave a few weeks earlier so I would be able to work at a few concerts. It turned out that the concerts ended up not offering enough money for our film crew and I still have yet to be paid to pick up a camera this year! However, I recently heard that I will be working at Reggae Rising, so thank goodness for that!

Cousins descending from my father's side of the family


Humboldt's rural community of Salmon Creek has been the setting for many fun things I have done this summer. The family reunion in June at my aunt and uncle's place was a great event, and nearly all of my father's side of the family was able to attend. The following day a bunch of us were able to meet up again to go to an incredible swimming hole that for my whole life I had only heard rumors of.

Salmon Creek's "Three Falls"


Three Falls is a magical swimming hole in Salmon Creek that is reached by passing through private property. This required all of us wanting to go to meet up with my cousins around half way to the trail-head, leave our car, and hop in the back of their truck since we only had permission from the land owners to take one vehicle.

We rendezvoused at the beautiful Salmon Creek Community School


Loaded up in the truck...


Then hiked through fields


...And through poison-oak-filled gullies


And here was our reward


The picture above is the first thing I saw as I approached Three Falls. In order to get up to the second pool, one must scale those steep rocks to the left of the waterfall. This is not a very easy task, and I have heard rumors of people being frightened to tears climbing these rocks.

Dangerous terrain


Once you get up above the second pool, you are free to jump in!


As you can see, the second pool also has a waterfall going into it. This is also where one can experience the highest jumps in this area. I was the only one of the men who didn't do it and I have no regrets. I have never really enjoyed jumping off of high places, and besides, I have absolutely no health insurance!
Up at the third pool, which I have no pictures of, one can really get stupid and swim through caves in rocks (though it must be fun!). Of course, the pool down at the bottom is also very deep, and worth the trip in itself if you ask me.

Flying from the second pool to the first


The Three-Falls 2009 crew!


The last two pictures, and possibly some others were taken by my cousin, Kym. She has more articles on Salmon Creek and Three Falls on her blog.



edit post

4 Reply to "Zen in Humboldt Continued"

HeatherK on July 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Once again, Ren, it looks like it was a ton of fun. Wish Li'l D & I could have gone up there with the rest of you.

 

Anonymous on July 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Three years ago,I took the trek through the fields and poison oak gullies to beautiful 3 Falls. My middle grandson,Quinn, had begged me for years to go and I am so glad we were finally able to make the trek together. It is indeed a beautiful place. I climbed to the top of the falls (the easy way aroud). I didn't venture the leap or the swim through the cave but it was a great and fun day for this old grandma.

Aunt Myrna

 

Anonymous on July 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM

It's beautiful and the water looks so inviting, but I'm pretty much 100% positive that this is the only way I will see Three Falls...through photos! A.J.

 

Anonymous on July 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Ren, I love that opening photo. I don't know who took it but it wasn't me. Someday, I'm going to have to risk the tears and terror and go up to the middle pool again!

 

Post a Comment