Part of my work beginning next month involves work in the promotion of baseball around Asia. Major League Baseball seeks to gain popularity around the world just as it has in Japan. One major setback it faces, though, is the discontinuation of baseball as an Olympic sport. At the International Olympic Comittee meeting in July 2005, baseball and softball were voted out of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, England, becoming the first sport voted out of the Olympics since Polo was eliminated in the 1936 Olympics hosted in Berlin, Germany. The event will be played in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. They could be brought back for 2016 though. The concern is that if there is no baseball in the Olympics, there is just that much less baseball coverage in countries where baseball is still emerging.
Anyway, I came across this article on the man who manages the office I will work at. I haven't met him yet because he was out of the office when I had my interview but we have exchanged emails. The article has some interesting information about the environment I will be working in so those of you who are interested should check it out. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20071020a1.html



edit post

0 Reply to "Baseball in Asia"

Post a Comment