Grocery Shopping in Tokyo (3)

12:34 PM by , under

Small country, BIG apples!




One of the toughest things about living in Japan is the difference, and cost of produce. The different varieties of items available are just as vast as what we are used to in the USA, but the selection is sometimes much different. Living on a budget, I would often go to the Japanese equivalent of "the dollar store" where food and produce are also available. One is able to get produce such as three carrots, a piece of broccoli (imported from the USA), around a pound of small potatoes, a small bunch of bananas, a half, or whole head of cabbage (depending on the market rate), and more for a buck. The apple Sami is modeling with in the above picture probably goes for two to three dollars. I think it is similar to a Fuji.






Japanese Coronas


I probably wouldn't have this picture if it wasn't for Sami's new-to-Japan eyes. She reminded me how peculiar it is that Coronas in Japan come with a package of fake lime. I have never tried it, but once got a weird look when asking a bartender if my corona would come with a real lime or not. Apparently he had never heard of the fake stuff sold at stores!

Horizontal cereal


Cereal is another thing that is a lot more expensive in Japan than it is in the USA. I don't think this is common, but some boxes of cereal are printed on horizontally.


Kid's size beer

From my experience and observations in Japan, one can buy alcohol at any age, but for must be twenty years old to consume it. Drinking in public is legal so I imagine people use these little cans for taking on picnics. I think I have never seen a Japanese picnic without beer.










edit post

3 Reply to "Grocery Shopping in Tokyo"

Sami on June 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM

The cost of produce is what cost me to gain 10lbs in Japan... Or maybe all the ice cream and bakery goods we ate! lol

 

Anonymous on June 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM

shopping for food at the dollar store???? humm, ok not

dad

 

Ren on June 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Dad> Not having an income calls for serious efforts in saving money!

 

Post a Comment