The traditional gardens at Waseda University


During my current stay in Tokyo I have had a lot of time to search out some of the area's best places to relax while enjoying some nature. One of my favorites has always been this one at Waseda University where I would sometimes fall asleep and miss class. Sami and I ate a little food while relaxing on the grass for around an hour.

Good place for picnics


A little pond


Pretty fish


Many photo op's :)


_____________________________________________________

Next: Joushi Park in Sakura City, Chiba Prefecture



I was introduced to this park by Miho one day when I was at her house and I asked her if there was anywhere we could walk to that would take all day. She told me about this park and I really came to like it.

A large, open grassy area I've picnicked on three times


Large, open, grassy areas are not very common in the Tokyo area so this place is really special to me. It has ample room for many people to have picnics, play frisbee, teach kids how to ride a bike, etc.

The picnic Sami, Miho, and I had


Big hug!



Sami taking Miho's bike for a test ride


_____________________________________________________

Theme park: Disney Sea


While Sami was here, I was forced to splerge and spend money as if I had a real income. One of the more expensive, yet very fun days was at Disney Sea with her, Miho, and Yumi (Miho's sister).

Yumi and I on the monorail


I had been to Disney Sea once before, but it was at the end of November and was freezing! This time it was a comfortable Spring day, which made it very nice.

A newly finished hotel


Park enterance


We went on all the big rides and saw some fun shows


Journey to the center of the Earth


Tower of Terror


With an "Aristocat"


After taking a picture with this character we moved out of the way so others could also strike their pose. The next people, a couple in their twenties, insisted on getting the character's signature on a purple napkin. The pen that the couple gave the character was a professional grade, thick-tipped, felt pen and the man let the character use his back as a solid surface to sign on. As you will see in the following picture, he was wearing a white jacket and lots of ink seeped through the napkin on his jacket. Am I bad for thinking "that's what you deserve for wanting a character to sign a napkin"? Maybe they were getting it for a young friend. I'd like to think that, anyway.


Sami and Miho waiting in line


At Disney Sea, alcohol is readily available at many places


The afterparty


After twelve hours at Disney Sea, we met Yumi's boyfriend at the nearby Rainforest Cafe (same as you see in the US). He was supposed to have come with us to the park, but he had a late night out with his colleagues, and I imagine that Disneyland is the last place you would want to be with a hangover so I don't really blame him. This cheesecake sundae was delicious!



edit post

7 Reply to "Fun Times at Natural and Theme Parks in the Tokyo Area"

Sami on June 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Now that was a fun day, I had so much fun with everyone!

 

Anonymous on June 3, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Sami, was that bike one of the infamous 20"ers? LOL

Looks like a lot of fun, both at the parks and at Disney.

A.J.

 

Anonymous on June 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I did not know you guys went to disney land....I love disney, fun fun fun.....still dont know how to put my name on this thing, so i just sign in as DAD.
THE park looks so nice, i find peace in my yard, and i miss all my classes.see you soon buddy. give Miho a hug from jane and I.

 

Unknown on June 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM

After seeing those desserts, I know I have to plan a trip to Japan soon.

 

Anonymous on June 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I would love to see that lily pond when it is in full bloom!

 

Heather on June 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Are Miho & Yumi twins? They look a LOT alike to me.

 

Ren on June 17, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Heather> Yumi and Miho look so similar that I once grabbed Yumi's waist from behind thinking it was Miho. That was very embarrassing.

 

Post a Comment