MTV Japan Video Music Awards

As you may know from my last blog entry, I found out on Friday morning that Ryan and I would be receiving free passes to the Japan VMAs from his manager. We originally scheduled to arrive in Saitama, a prefecture north of Tokyo where the event was held, meet Ryan's manager and his wife, and go together. Unfortunately plans changed last minute and Ryan and I had to go to Tamachi station in Tokyo to get our tickets because Ryan's manager and wife became unable to go.

The Saitama Super Arena


A glimpse of the Red Carpet Show



Exchanging our vouchers for passes


The business cards that Ryan and I made for entry into a party around a month ago have been extremely useful lately. When exchanging our vouchers for passes into the venue we unexpectedly were required to submit business cards. Luckily we came prepared! We also passed them out to a bunch of people we met at the show.

In the arena, ready for the show!


The show started at 6:00PM sharp to the sound of Green Day's drums. I will let the following video do the talking. This was my favorite show of the night, because I always wanted to see Green Day live!




There were also performances by Boa, The Black Eyed Peas, Ciara, and some Japanese bands. Having worked at countless concerts, I have a decent idea of what it takes to put on a show. This show, though, had an incredibly elaborate stage setup, film crew, pyrotechnics, and more, which made for the most impressive concert setting I had ever seen in my life. I kept wondering how much it must have cost!

Katy Perry's show and attire were very fun!


I was very pleased with an unscheduled, surprise lifetime achievement award given to the Beastie Boys, who I also have wanted to see live very much. The three of them appeared on stage, first as silhouettes on a big white screen, then the screen lifted to reveal that the three of them were actually there! They all had microphones turned on, and the beat for "Sabotage" was playing, but they didn't perform. The cultural and language barrier made their acceptance of the award a little funny and after a long silence one of the Beastie Boys blerted out "Awkwarrrrrrd." That was one of the funniest moments of the night.

Making an exit


Two-thousand or so people had standing room admission to the show Ryan and I looked down at them from our seating area as the show ended. I was jealous of them when the music was playing, but it was nice to have a seat to watch the show from. I ran into a former student of mine outside the venue who apparently watched the show from the standing area.

Ryan taking a picture for some girls who asked in English


We ended up not getting into any afterparties even after trying our best to contact Ryan's connection at MTV Japan. We ended up going out for drinks at an all-you-can-drink place which was only around $10 for an hour and a half. I unfortunately leave here in just over a week but luckily I am under budget overall for this trip.



edit post

5 Reply to "Ryan and I at the MTV VMAs in Japan!"

Anonymous on May 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I'm glad you had a good time. See you in about a month!

A.J.

 

Anonymous on May 31, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Damn! That looked fun...I on the other hand went with Janie to the KMUD blockparty, I saw former band mate do a camo cowboy song. Yes the Waynster, and he was great. He has a small band together including his son Aric. It felt good to be out and about.Many were surprised to see me there, or anywhere...I believe they either thought i was dead, or surprised i looked as good as i do. For life i am so happy! Life is a celebration of each wonderful moment we can put together. Have fun, say hello to Ryan and Miho. We will be here waiting for your stories of fun and adventure. DAD

 

Ren on May 31, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I'm glad you guys liked it!

 

Kathryn W. on May 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM

That totally looked awesome!! I am pretty much jealous...haha! Someday I am going to see Katy Perry in concert. :)

Oh and Renee and Sami stopped by for a couple of days. They were here for Jean's graduation. Just so you know. haha!

 

Ren on May 31, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Kathryn, thanks for the comment. You are easily the youngest person to post something :) You are also one of the few who has figured out how to post their name without having a link, instead of posting as "anonymous". It isn't that hard, right? I used to do it all the time!
Anyway, believe it or not this is the second time that I have been able to see Katy Perry for free this year, however last time I had to give my ticket away. YouTube threw a party in San Francisco that Katy performed at and gave away free tickets.

 

Post a Comment