The face of food


A very unique, and free thing to do in Tokyo is go to the Tsukiji Fish Market. This is Japan's biggest fish market, and supplies a large portion of the nation with more edible sea life than you could find at Marine World. You have to arrive around 6AM if you want a chance to see the auctions, which is not too hard considering the sun rises here in the four o'clock hour.

Potential buyers checking the meat before bidding

My video of an auction

A couple other things for sale



Eating at a sashimi-only restaurant at 6:30AM

As Ryan points out, there are many delicious, fresh breakfast options to choose from in Tsukiji. None of the meat sold here is cooked, and there was no room for Sami to sit without ordering anything, so she sat outside the restaurant, feet wet with fish guts (her and Ryan wore sandals HAHA), until we finished our world class meals. I had the crab, it was incredible! And as for Sami, she had an Egg-McMuffin as Ryan and I endulged in McDonald's all you can drink coffee a little later.



edit post

7 Reply to "The Tsukiji Fish Market and Auctions In Tokyo Japan"

Anonymous on May 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I'm with Sami, I couldn't stomach the raw stuff. I liked your video till it came to the eels. A.J.

 

Anonymous on May 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM

yup! thank god i was told not to eat raw fish. now i have a great excuse to eat a egg mcmuffin.which is probably just as bad for me. great video , fun for me to watch.

DAD

 

Anonymous on May 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Sami sounds like she gets her squeamishness from Grandma. Once we took her to a Japanese restaurant. She just picked. I was afraid she'd starve to death.

 

Unknown on May 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM

If raw fish was my only option, I might give it a try, just to say I had the opportunity to eat at the unique restaurant, but, I am sure I would join Sami at McDonald's for a McMuffin later in the morning.
I really enjoy your photos and stories about Japan. I almost feel like I have been traveling the country with you. My one regret is my satellite connection is too slow to really enjoy the videos.

am

 

Unknown on May 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I tried the fish auction video and I was able to receive it today. Don't know why but I'm glad I tried. Very interesting - I could almost smell the fish. (:-)

 

Anonymous on May 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Sam just told us the story of the morning raw fish breakfast and McDs. I do love some sashimi, but first thing in the morning? Not so sure. I think I would have indulged with you and Ryan though. The auction was entertaining. Good stuff!
Elly

 

Ren on May 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM

AJ> For a while eel was my favorite type of sushi meat. Now I really can't choose.

Dad> Are you implying that the nutritional value of raw fish compares to that of a breakfast at McDonald's? Have you lost your mind?

Kym> Sushi is not for everyone. I wasn't even 100% into eating a big bowl of sashami over rice at that moment.

AM> Glad you could see the video. As bad as it seems, at least you don't have dial-up. Sami's feet may still smell like fish so if you want a cultural experience you might invite her over ;)

Elly> Ya, that day was nice, we went for a picnic afterwards at a pretty park.

 

Post a Comment