Sami missing home on her first day in Japan


Since I have had my sister here visiting me I have been reminded of what type of things catch the eye of people who don't know Japan very well. One of the first pictures taken with her camera here was this one of the Pizza Hut mopeds. Pizza Hut happens to be the nearest food to me, but I have yet to resist to it. Sami was tempted during her stay, but I assured her that it would not be satisfying and you have to be able to tolerate the occasional sauces with fishy tastes, and dashes of mayonnaise sprinkled on top like parmesan cheese.

Different genders, different prices


Keeping the subject of food, this picture is of an Italian buffet restaurant in Harajuku. The most eye-catching thing to me is how men cost 1155 yen, and women only cost 1050 yen! All-you-can-eat restaurants are known here as the English word "viking". Weird...

Trendy terrace


This is a picture of Sami eating lunch on a terrace at a cool restaurant in Harajuku. We requested the terrace, only to be told that they would seat us wherever the next open seats ended up being. Luckily for us our wish came true and we got to enjoy the great weather, and great meal at the same time.

Anime Obama


This is a poster for a foreign food event. No, Obama won't be there, but maybe his face can sell some extra foreign delicacies.

Love your mother


This was shot in Ginza just before Mother's Day.

Being blond in Tokyo


Sami really stuck out in most settings. Here is what it looks like with a blond on a busy subway. No wonder they stare!

Who needs clothes?


Lots of shops here have obscure names. This one just happens to have a picture of me by it.

A dog host club?


This was really confusing to me. A mall we went to had a dog area where you could hang out with random dogs. I don't know if they are owned by the mall, and used as way to attract customers to the nearby pet shop where some puppies go for $1500.

I'm not sure I want to see this Ren's "footprints"


This hostess club has very good taste in names for their ladies. I wonder if this is her stage name, or real name? I still would never enter one of these depressing, smoky, desperate cries for attention.



edit post

4 Reply to "Random Sightings Around Tokyo"

Kym on May 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Yep, your family is just too pretty. You all look like models.

Hey, and be nice to Ren-at-the-hostess-club. She looks like she could be related. Maybe you should rescue her.

 

Anonymous on May 20, 2009 at 2:00 AM

I like all your shots. The one of the Italian food...mmmm it looks yummy, although peculiarly unItalian! Boiled eggs on pizza? Italian pancakes? And of course they charge more for males to eat in a buffet than for females. Think about it...who puts away more food...you or Miho? :-D

Looks like boiled eggs aren't just for pizzas, but to spell out a message for mothers, too.

Why is it all the Ren signs in Japan seem to have something to do with not-quite-ethical things?

Hoping Sami has a safe trip home tomorrow and is not seated by anyone with halitosis! Or at least that she is armed with plenty of tic tacs!

A.J.

 

Ren on May 20, 2009 at 7:16 AM

A.J.> Your comment makes me laugh because sometimes Miho eats more than me! haha

Kym> Thanks for the kind comments. I guess I do sort of resemble that "Ren"! haha Weird

 

Anonymous on May 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM

boiled egg pizzza , sounds like a gas! this has been a fun time for me traveling along with you sitting here in my home. did i ever tell ya , once i went to arizona. there was a club there named kens club and all the girls were named ken
dad

 

Post a Comment