These days hitchhikers can give their thumbs a rest



Last week I caught a ride from my sister to Truckee. Being in Truckee would allow me to see my mom for the first time in three months, and also be in a good position to find a ride along I-80 to Elko, Nevada, where I would be getting a car from my uncle. I would never ask my family to drive me that far (320 miles) when there actually are other transportation options.

Greyhound: The Dirty-Dog


Greyhound passes through once a day, picking up in Truckee at 5:00PM and arriving in Elko at 12:50AM (assuming the unbelievable happened and there wasn't an issue on the "Dirty Dog"). The non-advanced purchase price is a steep fifty two dollars. Definitely not worth the money.


The California Zephyr

Amtrak is also an option, as the California Zephyr line runs from the Bay Area to Chicago. It picks up at 2:38PM and gets to Elko at 9:44PM daily. The non-discounted price is an extremely steep eighty-one dollars! No way I'm paying that!
Of course, being a penny-pincher, and not having an income, I had been searching Craigslist's rideshare posts for anyone offering rides that would get me from Truckee to Elko. I originally found a ride on the Bay Area Craigslist that a man posted who was driving from the East Bay to Chicago. He said that he would pick me up and drop me off in Elko, and that he already had a woman and her dog going the entire distance with him. This was the only option I had, and at an agreed rate of twenty dollars, the price was right. Then one day while on the Sacramento Craigslist site I saw a post from a couple of people who were driving from Davis to Salt Lake City. Their schedule fit mine well and so I contacted them and arranged to get picked up at a gas station in Truckee.
The two people who picked me up in their grey Honda Civic were statistics PhD students from Taiwan. They were really friendly and we introduced ourselves before loading up and getting on the freeway. It was really funny because one of the first things they asked me when we got in the car was "What is the difference between toast and bake?"
"As a verb?" I asked as I smiled.
"Yes!"
I went on to explain clearly and slowly the differences and after that they asked, "Well then, what is roast?" I didn't know how to define that very well so I told them to look it up!
Another thing they mentioned was that, apparently, I enunciate very well on the phone. They went on to add that I was easier to understand on the phone than anyone they had ever talked to in America. I guess I am used to talking to people in/from foreign countries, however, I didn't know these people were foreigners when I called them. I have to admit that they definitely drove like they were from another country. There were many instances that I wanted to point things out to them along the drive, but decided not to so they would just pay attention to driving. We got to Elko in good time and I stayed with some family before taking my "new" car back to California.

1996 Audi A6 Quattro


For 2,200 dollars, a special family deal, I was able to get into my cousin's old car. The drive back to California took me around five hours including three stops. One of the nicest things is even with my long legs I fit very well in this car. I have test driven many cars I like but have never been satisfied with the leg room. This car, though, gives me ample space to stretch out, and it is an automatic transmission giving my legs lots of rest and comfort! Oh ya, the other side has some dents, but they are nothing to brag about so I won't be posting a picture.




edit post

2 Reply to "Hitchiking in the Digital Age"

Anonymous on June 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

You are braver than I am, to catch a ride with complete strangers!

Which cousin sold you the car?

A.J.

 

Ren on June 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM

The car belonged to my cousin, Jean Marie. I love the idea of riding with strangers. I have picked people up through Rideshare before. It's a shame that it is thought that being with strangers is scary in our society. Most people in Japan would say the same thing and it is ten times safer there.

 

Post a Comment