Photobucket




For my birthday this year my wish was to simply see somewhere new.  I was in Redway at the time and asked Bullet and my dad if they wanted to go to Petrolia.  Though I am a native of the Southern Humboldt County area I had never been to Petrolia.




View Larger Map





We chose to take the route through Humboldt Redwoods State Park along Mattole Road.  I once read somewhere that this route was considered to be made part of California Highway 1.  It is a very beautiful drive which leads you through multiple different ecosystems.  Though you might be car-sick, you will eventually make it to the coast!




Looking north

Photobucket

Looking south




Photobucket


Looking west




Photobucket

The beach was an experience exactly as I hoped it would be.  The air was warm, nobody was around, and the surrounding area appeared generally untouched by human hands.  There aren't even houses visible in the surrounding hills.
Someday I would like to hike from Petrolia south to Shelter Cove along the Lost Coast Trail.  Below are some pictures from 2005 when Robert and I hiked north from Shelter Cove to Big Flat, but that isn't even half way to Petrolia.  We brought regular camping gear which was very heavy, and we both got hit by waves going around a point.  The wet boots were probably the worst part of the hike, but waking up to see that mice had eaten a bunch of our bagels was also tragic!  Though I seem to remember eating what was left of my bagel in the morning!  Another memorable moment was seeing what we thought was a person and their dog far ahead of us.  The dog then took off up into the mountains and when we talked to the person she said it was a fox!  We were also almost totally screwed when I apparently left Robert's car's trunk open overnight in Shelter Cove.  Luckily for us someone noticed and pulled the illuminating light-bulb out of his trunk and taped it to his window so his battery wouldn't die!  Thank goodness for nice people.



Looking north from Big Flat

Photobucket

Way too much gear!

Photobucket

A good looking wave at Big Flat

Photobucket
 
Surfers walking from Shelter Cove to Big Flat, the furthest point visible

Photobucket




edit post

0 Reply to "The Beach At Petrolia California"

Post a Comment