For me, the sun sets into Tokyo


I have finally out-slept the sun, and was able to sleep as late as 6:30 this morning. Yesterday was much different, I woke up at 2:10 and never went back to sleep until a two hour nap around 11:00. My body is slowly adjusting to the time difference, but at least I feel fine when I am awake, unlike the last time I landed in Japan.

So far, I love my neighborhood


Yesterday I was determined to see more of my neighborhood so I spent a lot of time walking around. I live about a quarter mile from a river so I made it my mission to follow it until it hit the much bigger river which is around a mile from me. Here are some pictures of what I saw along that adventure.

Satsuki bicycle shop


Residential parking in this lot is $140 a month


I saw street parking for the first time in Japan


This cool looking house seemed out of place


Street lined with cherry trees


A little shrine


The big river that the little river led me to


I will be posting more pictures from my neighborhood soon. I really like it here, especially how much more I like this location than the place I was living in San Francisco. It is so much quieter, cheaper rent, has more nature, and there is so much to do within walking distance.



Drinks with Swedes in Harajuku


I also had plans to meet up with some Swedish friends of mine who, unfortunately, are going home today. I met them at my old place when they rented apartments to stay in for a month of partying in Tokyo. This time, two of them, Anna and Henrik, were here for a semester of studying Japanese. We all met in Harajuku for a beer.
The guy in the back-right, Fredrik, was told "Nice Beastie Boys fashion" when he ordered his drink at the bar.
It was the first time I took a train from my area to Tokyo so it was a good experience for me to see how accessible Tokyo really is from the suburb. The fare was $3.80, and the engineer was kind enough to be my designated driver so I am satisfied.



edit post

5 Reply to "Chiba is Good"

Anonymous on April 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Again, those cherry tree blossoms are gorgeous! I agree, the red house looks more like it belongs in Humboldt County than in Japan. I'd like to see a picture of the exterior of your apartment/house.

A. J.

 

ハチ on April 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Ren! Love your new blog ♥

Keep those updates coming for all of us back here and terribly homesick for Japan. So jealous of you! ;)

 

Ren on April 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM

A.J.> I will try and get my place on here soon.

ハチ子> Thanks for reading and the comments. I wish you were to go to the Hub with us!

 

Anonymous on April 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Wow, nice neighborhood! wish we could walk a few miles there together , like we did in San Fran. Looks like your doing well. Me too.!!!!

DAD

 

Ren on April 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Dad> Good to hear you are doing well. There are some nice walks from my place, I am very happy with it. I have a slight worry that a construction project is going to start across the street though!

 

Post a Comment