Big City, Big Weekend


I have been learning lately how busy Japanese really are during the workweek, and how they truly pack a lot into their weekends. It is very difficult to hang out with most adults here on weekdays, because work hours often keep people busy quite until late at night. That is the case with Miho who is now working full-time in Tokyo.
This past weekend I had a lot of options on my plate, and all of them seemed so fun that I had to give them all a chance. Since I hadn't seen Miho since before her work week started, her and I met up near my place around eight on Friday night and had cheap Italian food, which tasted pretty good considering the low prices. She didn't have time to come see my new place, but she was back in my neighborhood the following afternoon to visit for the day. We made curry and went on a walk along the riverside where the last of the cherry blossoms were still holding on for their lives. The wind has been strong so the weak blossoms are all floating away.

She went home around seven so she would have time to go shopping before dinner with her parents. I, on the other hand, got ready to go to the city and meet my friend, Duffy, to join him at a party at condo in a complex that is known for being Japan's second-highest residential tower, and having condos worth over a million dollars.


Duffy was less aware of what the party was going to be like than I thought he would be, so we were a little nervous about what to expect. We made our way through three layers of video intercoms to get to the forty-fifth floor shindig, talking to random partygoers who graciously answered our calls and unlocked the doors.

The living room had a blue theme, while the other rooms were red


When the lights accidentally got turned on



We finally made it in to the party which contained a fun mix of foreigners, locals, and took place primarily in the living room with two different wrap-around seating areas, and another room with more seating. A woman collected a steep $30 from us each, which gave us admission, and an open bar. There were a couple ladies taking drink orders all night.

On the balcony with Duffy the football player


I made a friend there who is a Japanese guy who had heard of Humboldt County and Reggae on the River. He couldn't believe that I listened to reggae, and said that judging by my clothes I was probably listened to U2! He told me oh his stories of going to Jamaica and being called a "chink" while being robbed at gunpoint.

With the comic book girl


I almost forgot to mention the comic book artist who was actually one of the first people I talked to at the party. She was kind of awkward to converse with, and often wouldn't even answer, she just would nod her head to respond. Later in the party I looked across the room and realized she had her sketch book out and was drawing me! I didn't have much of an urge to look at what she had drawn, but at one point when I randomly walked by her as she continued to draw something, she abruptly, and dramatically shielded her work, like Batman might do with his cape to block killer bees. Finally, to top it off, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before in the midst of all her crazy fashion. She was wearing a mask, backwards, on her head. I told Duffy and had her go have her put on the mask for a picture, because I knew I would need visual evidence to assure myself this girl really exists.


A very drunk Swedish guy and some locals


Duffy sleeping while being shown pictures



Fashion of designer wallets sticking out of mens' pockets


Hanging out at that party extremely late was quite tolerable because there was no smoking inside, only on the balcony. I arrived there around nine knowing what time my last train home was, as well as the first morning train because I wasn't sure I was going to want to be there all night or not. Well, I ended up having a better time there than I ever could have imagined to I gladly hung out until dawn.

Outside the building as dawn broke


The first train got me home around 6:45AM on Sunday, and I had to leave the house by 8:30 to meet up with Miho and her family to go to a Tulip festival in their town.


Since their town is a sister city to a place in Holland, the festival had a Dutch feel to it, and I think lots of the flowers there were from Holland. There were also Dutch snacks for sale, though we went out for Chinese food later that afternoon. I did my best to be alert though I was drowsy all day.


A good accordion band


You could pick flowers, and buy them


"Not for sale" (right Miho?)





edit post

5 Reply to "One Weekend, One Hour of Sleep: Tokyo, We've Done it Again"

Anonymous on April 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Don't burn yourself out, boy!

Can you handle another grammar correction? "Her and I" should be "she and I". To determine the correct usage, take "and I" out of the sentence to see how it sounds. You wouldn't say "Her met up near my place".

For being such an expensive apartment, that place appeared to have no wall decor. ??? Someone's personal style, or did they spend all their money renting the apartment? LOL

The tulips are so beautiful.

A.J.

 

Ren on April 14, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Thanks for the grammar assistance.

It turns out that it was a condo rented out solely for that party from a party agency so that probably explains the bare walls.

 

Anonymous on April 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Wow! What a night. I'm impressed. I know I couldn't have stayed up all night and then spent the day with Miho's family. Good for you. I loved the comic writer. Maybe you'll be the next U2 villain?!?
Love you, Elly

 

Anonymous on April 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Lets see, your starting to reminde me of, hummmm ME. dad

 

Anonymous on April 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM

And let that be a warning! LOL

A.J.

 

Post a Comment