Cherry blossoms with ivy

The rest of my pictures from my neighborhood include this cool, ivy covered tree sticking out of someone's back yard. Anyway, to carry on where I left off on my last blog, I will go into more detail as to what saw at the big river I ended up at on my walk.
One of the first things that struck me, especially since the sun was low, and it sets into Tokyo, was how much visibly dirtier the air was over in the city. When I was living there I really didn't notice it. It is not like Bangkok, where, from my experience, you can taste the pollution and it gives you a sore throat, but I guess it is still quite visible. The following two shots are pointing towards the sun, and away from the sun. You should be able to see the big differences in air quality. I am happy to be living where it is cleaner!


Towards Tokyo


Towards my place



I mentioned before that there is more nature here than the place I was living in San Francisco, and to compliment that, there are even convenient signs to help you see different places. The first picture shows a sign saying how many kilometers away a park is. The second picture says how far away the "ocean" is, but in English we wouldn't refer to what it leads to as the ocean. In Japanese, there is a word for "bay", but it is still called the ocean. From what I have seen, the word "bay" is mainly used for names of bays such as "Tokyo Bay," or "San Francisco Bay." The sign for the ocean would take you to Disney Sea theme park, the most expensive theme park ever built.


To the city park


To the "ocean"


As the sun got lower, it took on interesting shapes as its light was blocked


A pharmacy called "(The) Salad Pharmacy" (?!?!)



edit post

3 Reply to "One Of The Coolest Trees I've Seen In Japan, Plus More Chiba"

Anonymous on April 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM

The tree is beautiful, however, that ivy will eventually kill it if left to continue growing on it. :-(

What a beautiful spot that is, right there by the "ocean/bay". Do you live in one of those houses?

Maybe "Salad" Pharmacy is trying to tell you it is good for you? Or (salad basically meaning a mixture) maybe that they have "everything"?

A.J.

 

Ren on April 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I don't live right on the river. I live near a smaller river which connects to that one. If I lived right there I would have to listen to hundreds of trains loudly go over the bridge every day. That would not be good.

 

Anonymous on April 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

I don't think I would like listening to(and feeling) 100+ trains go by every day either!

A.J.

 

Post a Comment