Cherry Blossoms at Ueno Park


My jet-lag has had me waking up between three and four since I arrived here on Friday evening, but it has at least given me time to give my blog some attention. It is now Monday morning around five o'clock, and around eight I will take a train to a place called Sugano, in the Chiba prefecture, where I will be renting an apartment that I have committed to, yet have never seen in person.

"Welcome home" Ren
I was treated with last-minute arrangements of a pickup at Narita airport by Miho's mother, her friend, and friend's daughter. They were waiting for me in the arrivals area of the airport when I arrived, and unfortunately for all of us my flight was delayed due to strong winds in San Francisco. I flew on Northwest Airlines to Tokyo, my first time not taking United, and I really enjoyed it. I chose Northwest for the same reason I choose any other airline, it was the cheapest! I got my flight for $696 out the door, and there were no other fees for anything such as pillows, blankets, food, etc. I even dodged a fee for heavy luggage after one of my bag was seventy-two pounds, far exceeding the allotted fifty pounds! I quickly got my backpack out of that suitcase and filled it with random items until the suitcase reached fifty-three pounds. The lady working at the counter let it slide, who, by the way, asked if I was a a minor traveling alone as I approached her! Do I really come across as being under eighteen?!

Strolling through Ueno Park


Even with my jet-lag keeping my drowsy all weekend, I still was able to enjoy being taken to Ueno Park in Tokyo to see the cherry blossoms, and go to a Cartier jewelery exhibit at one of the museums. It was fun to see all of the people having picnics under the blossoming trees, although it was a bit too crowded for my liking.

The blossoms are falling


Another shocking restroom experience


Using the restroom in Japan can sometimes be a difficult experience for foreigners. My sister, shown above, once pushed the emergency button on the wall of a handicap stall instead of the flush button, which was also on the wall. I had told her, and tell other foreigners that if you want to guarantee that you will get a western style toilet, use the handicap stalls. But apparently not all of them have translations on them because she definitely pushed the wrong one because I heard the alarm and saw the security guards sprinting to her aid.

The toilet I used at the museum

That toilet she set the alarm off at was in Kyoto Station, where you would think it would be more English friendly due to it's popularity with tourists. The restroom I used at the museum on Saturday was kind enough to put up a translation, but they just couldn't get it right.

Here is a zoom-in of what the flush button has been labeled as

Perhaps Japan's fascination with cameras led to such a translation. If I couldn't read Japanese , all of the high-tech stuff on Japanese toilets, along with a "flash" function would definitely intimidate me!

Walking back to the train station
With my jet-lag, I was really tired after a day at the park. I really envied this little girl being carried because my legs didn't want to be moving anymore. When I got home I took a nap, ate, then was back in bed in the eight o'clock hour before waking up at three.



edit post

8 Reply to "I'm Back In The Land of the Rising Sun, Blogging Before Sunrise"

Heather on April 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Yes, Ren, you have the fortune/misfortune of a lot of us in this family of looking younger than you are for the first bit of your adulthood. Don't worry, it'll catch up to you sooner than you'd like, I'm sure! ;-)

 

Ren on April 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I will take it as it comes!

 

Andrew on April 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I suppose this is a case where the "hit all the buttons and figure one of them will do what you want" method didn't work out so well.

 

Ren on April 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Hahaha, that would be a ticklish experience, to say the least! You would feel "cleaner" than you have ever felt in your life, though!

 

Anonymous on April 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM

The cherry trees are so beautiful!

You should tell Miho's mother and friends that "home" is not Japan! LOL Although I'm sure they would like for it to be your permanent home.

Very nice photo of you and Miho. You look so cute and happy together.

Hmmm, a toilet that says "push flash"...are you positive there isn't a risque photo of you now hanging in some Japanese security guard's office? If I ever make it to Japan, I'll have to have Miho in the stall with me so I don't make the same mistake Rhea did! LOL

Hope you get over your jetlag soon.

A.J.

 

Elly on April 6, 2009 at 7:46 AM

As usual, I enjoy your blog. Keep it up. Send Miho our love!
Love, Elly

 

Ren on April 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the comments. I still have pretty bad jet-lag. I slept from 7PM-2AM this time. Time to write a new blog!

 

Anonymous on April 14, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I cracked up at the pic of Rhea! I would have done the same thing.

 

Post a Comment