Nothing to Lose: Outside the Door of a Tokyo Talent Agency


For the last week, my buddy Ryan and I have been bouncing around Tokyo as he applies for work at various modeling and acting agencies. Ryan is the proud owner of a work visa, enabling him to get a job here, unlike me. He obtained it by committing to a year-long job at a private English language institute, but he left them and is now looking for a line of work that doesn't include so much English speaking.

Some of the Offices Weren't So Pretty on the Outside



As of now he is waiting on some auditions for various things. He is somewhat of a commodity considering he can act and is bilingual. He and I have also made some good friends and connections from this experience. A couple days ago we went to a party at a hotel where we heard it was an open bar for individuals who simply submit a business card, so we both got on out computers, made some business cards for ourselves, and had a great time. We went with our new friend, Jeff, who makes a living in the entertainment and mass-media industry here in Tokyo, and Jeff's wife. At the party we made lots of friends, and I even got to meet Tadanobo Asano, from the hit movie Mongol. There was also very interesting art on display that I unfortunately have no pictures of. Later that night I went out drinking with some people I met at the party and ended up crashing at one of their apartments.

Our Cards Made For Free Online



Ryan leaves my apartment tomorrow and will return to the Tokyo area to move in to his new apartment soon. Good luck with everything dude!
The clock has just struck midnight here, and that means it is officially the month of May. 2009 is now one-third passed us! Not much longer until the new decade comes!



edit post

9 Reply to "Modeling and Acting In Tokyo, Japan: An American's Leap Into Japanese Mass-Media"

Anonymous on April 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Good luck Ryan!

Ren's A. J.

 

Anonymous on April 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

sounds like your having a good time. dad

 

Ren on April 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I'm doing fine. I get to clean my apartment today after Ryan leaves because Sami arrives in eight hours.

 

Anonymous on November 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM

ryan+ren,

how hard is it getting acting jobs in Tokyo? i live in LA and am considering moving there.

i'd love to ask you a few questions but can't find your email address. please email me at themann234@gmail.com

 

Ren on November 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I've given your info to Ryan. Good luck!

 

kamagra on May 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM

These agencies only works with Japanese people after all, that's why I prefer our agencies!

 

Anonymous on January 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hey Ren, My name is Shawn and I am a TV producer in LA that will be shooting a show in Tokyo next month. I was looking online for Americans in Japan and came across this Blog...is there a way for me to get in touch with Ryan? My email is swbws@aol.com, I work for Light Hearted Entertainment. Thanks for your help!

 

Anonymous on August 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM

There are a few casting calls for some arty type films shooting in Tokyo.

http://www.alttokyo.com/groups/film-making-acting-extras/

Theres also a paying tv commercial, they need colorful types who can skate.
Seems like a few interesting projects pop up every summer in Japan that are relatively easy to get in on.

 

Anonymous on April 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next post thank you once again.



Also visit my page; raspberry ketone reviews

 

Post a Comment