I will leave this beautiful place, and go to another



When this year started twenty-three days ago, I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that one-twelfth of my year would be spent in Carmel-By-The-Sea. I will be working as a PA (personal assistant) on a movie set. I have done this type of job for sports broadcasts numerous times, but I had no reason to believe I would ever get involved in a movie.
I guess it all sort of started with Carmel, because on the way to Southern California with Miho we took Highway One and drove by that beautiful area. While in LA, I met up with a very generous family I know who is in the film industry and I was randomly asked if I needed a job! My buddy Ryan will also be working with me, and is being put in the same hotel as I am. I am really looking forward to everything my month in Carmel will surely bring me. I head there on Sunday for a kick-off party, and work starts soon after that.
Other than that, my time in LA was pleasant. I got to see Hollywood, which was as dull as I expected, but it was still fun to see a new place. I am sure the night-life is the best part about that area, but that will have to happen another time.

Miho's reletives that we stayed with in LA

One of the most interesting aspects of the trip were the people we stayed with. The woman on the right is Miho's mother's cousin. Her family was forced to move to LA in August because of her husband's job. For me, it was my first time to not only stay with a family in America that doesn't speak English, but what made it unique was that they were Japanese so I understood all of the language, and cultural challenges they were facing.
They have done a pretty good job at making their lives in LA just like at home in Japan. For example their fifth grade boy goes to a Japanese elementary school where everything is taught in Japanese, and, surprisingly, English studies are minimal. He, and his high school aged sister even go to juku which is after school tutoring and college-prep studies in the evenings.
The father of the house works in an office where he says they don't speak English. He drives a Japanese car to work, uses a laptop with a Japanese keyboard, plays a Japanese Wii that can't play games bought in America, and, possibly the best part, gets Japanese food prepared for him by his wife. Being there reminded me how much I love Japanese food. They even took us out to one of their favorite Japanese restaurants, which had a wall full of pictures of Japanese celebrities who have eaten there.
The family member who is probably facing the most challenges is the high school aged girl. She has no choice but to attend a regular high school, albeit, she is enrolled in a program for students with limited English skills. Still, even with academics aside, being a freshman is just rough!
Having been a person in a place where I don't speak the language, I felt sorry for them at times. Ordering pizza at a restaurant we went to was a challenge, and so were other basic interactions with the general public. This doesn't seem to phase them very much, as they are all high-spirited, friendly people who seem to be able to overcome the language barrier.



edit post

6 Reply to "Another Unexpected Adventure In Life"

Kym on January 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Ren,

The movie and Carmel sound so exciting. What will the movie be about? What exactly will you do?

Miho's family are so brave. Traveling in Europe was a blast and not nearly as scary as I thought but coming from an Asian country here (we're so insular in many ways) has got to be hard.

 

Ren on January 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Kym>
I will find out about the movie when I get there, and as for my job, I will probably be running errands for the staff the whole time.

I agree that Miho's family is brave, and they are also strong for tolerating all of the challenges they face!

 

Anonymous on January 24, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Your lucky star seems to be extremely bright. The most interesting adventures seem to come your way.
Working on a movie set, even for just a month, is bound to be interesting, exciting, and informative. I'm sure you will have experiences that will be wonderful memories for the rest of your life.
Like Kym, I also admire Miho's family for taking this big step into the unknown. Do they expect to be in the U.S. for an extended period of time?
Please tell Miho hello for me. I enjoyed meeting her at the wedding.

 

Ren on January 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM

They seem to be staying in California for a long time. At least they are in a nice neighborhood!

 

Anonymous on January 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM

nice blog! Miho's family have a real challenge. I admire them, and wish them the best. Maybe someday i will be lucky enough to meet her family.
Can you imagine me going to Japan to live! I would have to find a chair and just sit down hoping someone would have pity , and show me around. First stop, Food. I love japanese food.

 

Ren on January 26, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Dad> You love Japanese food?! If you are serious, let's go get some some time!

 

Post a Comment