I last wrote about my adventure-packed September, where I had a blast hanging out with my girlfriend, going to weddings, and so much more. At that time, I was staying in Ukiah even though I was taking classes in San Francisco. In October, though, I finally found a place in San Francisco of which I am still living in. I moved into one of my classmates’ house that had an open bedroom.


Love Fest



One of my favorite events in the world takes place in San Francisco every Fall called Love Fest. Love Fest is a parade of awesomely decorated flat-bed semi-trucks with electronica music DJs and dancers aboard, slowly making their way down Market Street. They continue, slowly, all the way to the large plaza in front of City Hall where their trucks park, and their trailers act as stages for the DJs who all play non-stop until dusk. The contrast of the loud, colorful party and San Francisco’s glorious City Hall is quite a sight to see.


Myself, Aya, Justin, and Hide


PhotobucketPhotobucket


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


The parade aspect of this event, plus how so many people dress up for it, is why I “love” Love Fest. I was with some friends, and their friends, and we all partied in our brightest, flamboyant attire. I had rainbow Slinkies on my arms, and my friend had on neon fur. Some people leave all their clothes at home and just come naked.


Free Bluegrass Festival






October also blessed me with a free Robert Plant (of Led Zepplin) concert. He played outdoors, in Golden Gate Park. I went with my friend, Hide, who ended up making the mistake of “taking candy from strangers” at the show and had himself a miserable night with a wild girl that he met. I ended up having to drive out somewhere to go save him, but I was delayed because I was at a bar with my friend Justin when Hide was in need so he had to wait a couple hours for me to sober up.


With an Oil-Worker Member of the Palin Family



Once I moved in October, I had a fairly large amount of free time, and thus I started to ponder what kind of cool Halloween costume I could make this year. I wanted to come up with something original, and so I thought about what kind of current events I might be able to base a costume off of. There was no way I could make myself look like Obama, and San Francisco’s Sarah Palin look-alike drag-queen contest proved that politics were already overused by others. At some point I came across the term “green energy”, like I had many times before in 2008, and thought about how I could apply it to a costume. I figured I could wear green clothes, and top it off with a homemade, CFL light bulb hat powered by a 12 volt battery and an inverter. I made that hat by tinkering with a tin, shop clamp-light so that the bulb would be placed outside of the bowl, instead of inside.


At the City's Halloween Festival


PhotobucketPhotobucket


I had a really good time on Halloween night at San Francisco’s city-run party. It took place in one of AT&T Park’s parking lots, and featured lots of free music, including a fun surprise when the singer of the disco hit “It’s Raining Men” put on a very entertaining set. A low point of that night was when I was in an outhouse, suddenly there was a strong banging on the door. I called out so it would be clear that someone was in there, but about a minute later the firm knock returned. I ignored it, and was taking my time because I had to deal with my costume. Finally, when I stepped out of the outhouse two San Francisco Sheriffs were there and one asked me, “Have you been smoking anything tonight?”, as the other was looking at my eyes with a flashlight. I answered, “No.” And as they continued to ask me questions I interrupted and asked, “Am I free to go?” And one of them said, “Of course.” I went back to the main stage where a really fun Latino band was playing and suddenly one of them said, this one is dedicated to the gringo with the bright idea, as he pointed to me. I was stoked, and it helped me forget the cops invading my privacy.


Brandy's Party


Photobucket


The next night I was able to meet up with my friend Brandy for her Halloween party. It was lots of fun, but I had to keep my light turned off because it was too bright for the dim, Halloween atmosphere. The best costumes were definitely the couple who came as the couple in the movie Juno. With the election nearing, two partygoers spent the whole time arguing about all of the predictable conservative verses liberal arguments. I don’t remember their names, but I remember the liberal was the “naughty teacher” and ironically the conservative was “Joe The Plumber.” I am not sure why they chose to waste a perfectly good party whining to each-other about how much they disagree with one-another's opinions.

Though I didn’t waste my social life arguing about politics, I did follow many things very closely, and passionately. I was very hopeful that Obama would be elected, but I had no idea if America was going to vote for him. On Election Day, my roommates and I all watched NBC news together in anticipation. When the news was announced that Obama had won, we were all smiles, and I really felt proud of my country for electing the first African-American president. The idea that not too long ago African-Americans weren’t even able to vote, and that interracial marriages, like the marriage that produced our future president, were also forbidden. The presidential election, overall, made me feel great about my country, and has me looking forward to Obama’s presidency. The thought of "President Palin" really had me worried. The result of Proposition 8, however, made me feel extreme shame in my fellow Californians. I see it as utterly preposterous that a large number of Californian’s dream of marriage was put up for vote. How would you feel if someone voted on your marriage? I went to two beautiful weddings shortly before the 2008 election and I hope that all men and women of this state will be able to have a day as special as that, with the person they want to spend the rest of their life with. I am disgusted that some individuals’ prejudices are now written on our Californian constitution. I am straight, I grew up attracted to women, and am lucky enough to have a wonderful girlfriend. The thought of being romantic with someone of the same sex is not something my mind can comprehend, but I do know what love is, and I would never try to deny that to anyone.


Thanksgiving Season



November also means Thanksgiving, and I am thankful for so many wonderful things in my life. I spent the holiday with my mom and sister in Truckee, and I even was in charge of preparing the turkey! There was no snow in the area yet, so our recreation was limited to an epic hike near the Northstar resort.

I think I will end this here and talk about December another time. Take care!


**By the way, this was written on warm, sunny Ocean Beach in San Francisco. The sun is about to set, and I am thinking about coming back tomorrow for a barbecue.



edit post

5 Reply to "Playing "Catch-Up" on my New Blog"

Anonymous on January 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Hello. I am trying out your comments section :) I was just on here earlier looking at my sister's blog, & talking to her about starting my own public one... I too was using myspace for blogging.

 

Kym on January 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Ren, I love that last photo. San Francisco is such a beautiful city.

I enjoy your blog and would like to link to it in my blogroll is that alright?

 

Anonymous on January 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for alerting me to the new site. I have your on my favorites list. Hopefully, I can keep better track of your updates.

You do lead an exciting life.

 

Anonymous on January 10, 2009 at 4:19 AM

wow so you were at the beach writing this blog! sweet :)
Anyway, I am now trying to figure out how to use English to Japanese version of Rikai-chan. Because of this awesome function, I could read every single word of your story. :D tanoshi-
I am lucky enough to have a wonderful bf! saigo no hou yonde kando- sichatta! nakisou haha

 

Ren on January 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Candice> MySpace had always been a nuisance for me, but the fact that all my friends were on it kept me using it. Now that so many people have switched to Facebook, I am very close to not using MySpace ever again. Be sure and let me know if you create a blog for yourself!

Kym> Sami gets the credit for that picture you love. Sure, you can put me in your blog-roll! I am glad to see you have posted again, your blog is the only one I really ever look at.

Aunt M> I'm glad you got my alert. Did you notice my typo in the email?

Miho> You should link your blog to your comments (like Kym did). Try it next time, because honestly I don't know your blog's address and I want to translate some of it and put it here!

 

Post a Comment