The trail on the park's new, coastal property



I had a truly memorable day on Tuesday out at Van Damme State Park. The weather was unseasonably warm, and the skies were clear. I ventured out to walk the trail pictured above, which I had searched for once on a trip to Mendocino a few years ago, but was unable to find it. Getting some pointers from a local expert, I was able to find the trail-head this time.
I couldn't get over how great the warm air felt. I felt like I was in a tropical country, without the humidity, of course. There were all sorts of birds flying about, but the wildlife that impressed me the most were the many whales!

Taking pictures and video of the whales was a challenge because they were quite far off the coast, and they aren't visible for very long. My camera only has a 3X optical zoom, so that is all of the cheating I was able to do. The video I shot was using the digital zoom. I chose to do this because currently I don't have any software that I can zoom video in with. In almost all circumstances, I recommended you don't use digital zoom, because you can do it later on your computer.

Video I was able to shoot



Here are more pictures of the whales







Right after one breached!



Looking straight out, north, or south, whales were visible. I probably saw around fifteen different whales in all. Seeing one breach was so cool! I was close to getting the picture, but at least I saw it with my own eyes to lock in an all-important mental-image!

Some clickable, larger images

PhotobucketPhotobucket

The Mendocino coast is so beautiful. Every time I am there I think how nice it would be to live there. There are so many places like this where you can go have privacy, and world-class beauty. I saw one other man, but the whales still outnumbered humans by around fifteen to two!

The water was clear



...but a little rough



This park is famous for kayaking



I came across this little, protected cove that looks like it might have some good snorkeling. I have snorkeled a little farther north before, and it was pretty wild. It is a picturesque little beach, isn't it!

Finally, I was able to get in a photo!



To end, I have a couple shout-outs to make. One to Miho for finishing her last college presentation, and another to Bill for another birthday!



edit post

6 Reply to "An Unforgettable Day at Van Damme State Park"

Anonymous on January 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Ever since you last posted, I've been dreaming about going to see the whales. This post just makes the hunger more intense. Beautiful day!

Also I enjoyed the music on the video. The beginning was especially wonderful with the whales spouting and the music providing a counterpoint.

 

Ren on January 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Kymk> The music is by Afro Celt Sound System. I think they are great. A lot of their music is much more upbeat.

 

Anonymous on January 18, 2009 at 6:43 AM

woooooooow beautiful!!!
the water is clear!
this week is the last one to go to classes ever!:)

 

Ren on January 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Miho> Let's go snorkeling next time!

 

Anonymous on January 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I think you have inspired me to head out to Mendo for my day off. I love to jog along the Headlands trail. Wish we could have met up in the city. Next time we will plan better. Love you.

 

Ren on January 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Elly> Ya, let's hang out next time! I've got some cool places I want to show you. See ya

 

Post a Comment